Friday, October 1, 2010

My First "Friend Friday" - Focusing on the Negative

1. Do you post pictures on your blog, or would you if the opportunity
came along, of people with poor fashion//beauty sense? 
 
I have never posted photos of anyone on my blog for the express reason of poking fun of them.  I wouldn't want my photo on somebody's blog as an example of how not to be fashionable, so I don't feel it's right to do it to others.  I also think that with the "headless fattie" phenomenon (You know, the way they use those photos of overweight people from behind or from the neck down to highlight the news stories of the "obesity epidemic".), I am always scared I'm going to turn on the news and be one of the people who's ass is used to illustrate the story. I would never, ever want anyone else to feel that kind of apprehension and fear, no matter how "out of fashion" they are.  

2. Do you read any blogs that highlight the bad? Why? 
 
While reading some other "Friend Friday" posts (I'm a little late to the party), I noticed a reoccurring theme of bloggers reading "People of WalMart".  I have to admit that I occasionally look at their site for a quick chuckle, but lately, I have just been more disgusted with their commentary than amused.  

3. Should these bloggers get permission to post the pictures from the
subject in the same way the street-style blogs do? 
 
I think they should get permission to post these photos, but really, who is going to give permission to someone who says, "Hey there!  Your outfit/hair/shoes are really ugly. Do mind if I take your picture to put on my blog, so that all of my readers can make fun of you?".  I sure as hell wouldn't give my permission!  I think the people who take these photos usually wouldn't have the guts to ask the person's permission anyway.  These type of people seem to prefer to make fun of others from behind the safety of their own computer screens. 
 

4. As human beings we are fascinated with disasters - of all sorts -
why do you think that is? How to the blogs/websites that highlight the
negative thrive? 
 
I really don't have a good answer for this question.  I guess it's just human nature to want to see people doing worse than yourself, as sad as that is.  
I think the reason blogs that focus on the negative thrive is because misery loves company.  I really do believe that if someone is harassing you for something, they are probably a bit jealous of you for some reason.  Maybe because you are getting attention, or maybe it's because you are so self-confident that you feel fabulous going out of the house in your crop top and 5'' tall stiletto heels, while they have no self-confidence whatsoever.  I feel that people who focus all of their energy on making others feel bad obviously has something seriously missing in their own life, and wants everyone else to feel as miserable as they themselves do. 
  

5. For many, fashion is subjective. Do you think, there can be
anything that is objectively bad in the fashion world? 
 
I might not be the best person to answer this question, because I sometimes look at high fashion runway shows and think, "Whaaat. . . ?! "  So really, in my head at least, many of the things I see in magazines or on runways are bad.  I suppose that anything can really be looked at as "fashion".  Although I have to say, I cannot stand it when I see people out in public with visible underwear, bra straps, or wearing pajama pants.
 
Make sure to check out Katy at Modly Chic, and the other fantastic bloggers who are participating in Friend Friday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment